One of the favorites on the Urban Oasis Breakfast menu is our homemade granola. Our guests are always asking me how to make it so I’m putting the recipe on the blog to make it easier for everyone to follow the simple directions.
I make my granola with ingredients from Trader Joes. They sell a two-pound bag of organic and gluten-free, organic rolled oats that I use for the base. This bag contains 6 cups of oats. Trader Joe’s also has an excellent selection of raw nuts which is good because I add a variety of nuts and seed into each batch. I purchase the nuts that are already in pieces since they’re less expensive and you want smaller pieces anyway. I typically add them in without chopping them into smaller pieces, unless they are too big.
I buy the large container of maple syrup for my liquid sweetener but you can use honey. I use canola oil as the fat since I don’t want an oil that adds too much taste.
Feel free to get creative. It is easy to change up depending on the types of nuts and seeds you use and the type of sweetener you choose. If you get the ration of dry to wet ingredients right (6 cups dry to 1 cup wet) and don’t overcook it, you can’t go wrong.
- 6 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup chopped raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Ingredients to Add After Cooking
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: oats, nuts, coconut, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar.
- In a separate smaller bowl or large measuring cup, combine the wet ingredients: maple syrup, oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the Wet Mixture into the Oat Mixture and mix together until the oat mixture is wet throughout.
- Divide the wet oat mixture evenly into two sheet pans.
- Even out the mixture in each pan with a spatula to be a consistent thickness before cooking.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, checking to achieve an even color.
- Remove from oven to cool and sprinkle the dried fruit on the cooling granola.
- . Break up the layer of granola and fruit with a spatula and add to a large mason jar or other an air-tight container, mixing until evenly distributed.